Update on The Weekend Peel by New York Plastic Surgeon
Laser Resurfacing in Manhattan, New York by Dr. Beraka
For marked skin damage with wrinkling
and pigmentation, I use laser resurfacing. I believe that the
laser is safer, more predictable, and more effective than either
deep chemical peels (TCA, Phenol) or dermabrasion. But, which
laser is used is very important. Carbon dioxide (C02) lasers
leave the skin red for too long and can cause permanent skin
bleaching. Conventional short pulse Erbium lasers are only
good for superficial wrinkles.
Variable Pulse Erbium
Laser. The Contour laser delivers short pulses
and higher energy longer pulses as needed. So that with the
Contour laser, I can individualize the treatment for each
patient and for each part of the face. You can have laser resurfacing
of the whole face or just around the mouth or around the
- Facial wrinkles and lines around the mouth, the eyelids, the forehead, and the crow's feet.
- Uneven pigmentation due to aging and sun damage.
- What's special about my approach:
- Begin with good skin care, vitamin C serum, Retin A, glycolic acid peels. Some patients don't need laser. resufacing. There are excellent new products.
- Many women are afraid of the laser because they have heard about the prolonged redness. I use the CONTOUR laser, which is much better than regular carbond dioxide lasers in this respect.
- The CONTOUR laser is a combination short pulse and long pulse erbium laser, which enables me to individually tailor the ideal energy settings for each patient.
- This way both deep and superficial lines are individually treated and patients are healed in a few days.
- The CONTOUR laser leaves much less redness for a much briefer period.
- Laser should be followed in two weeks with BOTOX® injections for a long lasting result. Weakening the muscles that cause crow's feet and frown lines with BOTOX® prevents the lines from coming back.
- For some patients, chemical peels or dermabrasion are a more effective treatment than laser resurfacing.
- Laser resurfacing tightens the
skin and for some patients it creates enough of a "facelift effect:
to eliminate the need for a facelift.
- Resurfacing around the mouth and crow's fee is commonly performed together with a facelift.
- I study each face carefully (comparing it to photos of the patient when younger) to arrive at an individualized plan. Each face ages differently.
- I perform all surgery myself.
- We have developed a special moisturizer with arnica, called Arnicessence, which is very useful after laser.
Combination Facial Procedures:
The procedures listed below are frequently performed alone or in conjunction with brow lift surgery:
With anti-bruising medication and meticulous post-operative care, the recovery is fairly quick. Most patients are presentable one week after laser surgery. However, there will be pinkness in the lasered skin that will last for about 4-6 weeks, which can be easily camouflaged with corrective makeup.