Update on advancements in our program to minimize scars.
Correction of Male Gynecomastia
Who is a good candidate for Gynecomastia Correction Surgery:
- Gynecomastia is persistent
breast enlargement in boys and men.
- Boys or men with gynecomastia persisting for more than six months are candidates for surgical
- Gynecomastia is strictly a local problem. Most men with gynecomastia are completely normal in every other way.
- Gynecomastia in
boys or men can cause a lot of psychological distress which is relieved
by surgical correction.
What's special about my approach:
- I wrote a chapter
on gynecomastia for a textbook early in my career and because
of that I have treated a large number of gynecomastia patients.
- I individualize the
operation for each patient depending on the size of the gynecomastia.
- It is also important
to determine if the gynecomastia is mainly breast tissue or mainly fat.
- I make sure that the fold under the breast is eliminated.
- I avoid skin excision in almost all cases. This means that the scars are minimal. Most of the time the excess skin shrinks and contracts.
- Just before the end of the operation, I place the patient into a sitting
position on the operating table. When you are in this upright position I
can check that your chest is absolutely flat.
The highest priority in gynecomastia correction surgery is to create a completely
normal masculine chest contour. Most of the operation is performed with tumescent
liposuction, using special cannulas. Sometimes, I use ultrasound assisted liposuction.
If there is any breast tissue under the nipple, this must be removed through
a short incision in the nipple. The point is to make sure that all of the
redundant tissue is removed.
Gynecomastia correction is done under light anesthesia as an out-patient. It can be done in our fully accredited office surgical suite or in the hospital.
The scars from
properly performed gynecomastia correction surgery should be minimal. Typically, there is a very short scar inside the nipple. The scars will fade with time.
Recovery Time after Gynecomastia Correction Surgery:
- You will have some swelling and bruising for a few days. After the first week
you may resume your normal activities.
- Most patients take a week off from school or work.
- Avoid sports or working out for three weeks after gynecomastia correction surgery.