Who is a good candidate for abdominoplasty:
- People with too much skin and extra fat in the stomach.
- People with streched abdominal muscles which cause the stomach to buldge.
- Pregnancy is the most common cause but men can have this too.
- Both thin people and overweight people
can be good candidates for a tummy-tuck and the operation can be individualized.
New York City Abdominoplasty
A tummy tuck in Dr. Beraka's hands, is more like sculpture so he may also use liposuction and extra time in the operating room to shape and sculpt your lower abdomen.
Even if you are thin, you may have pockets of fat in your lower abdomen that just do not respond to diet and exercise. But a mini-tummy tuck may be right for you if most of your overweight is below the belly button. (The full abdominoplasty treats the area from the ribs to the groin.)
Plus, most patients recover much easier from the mini-tummy tuck. Sometimes, liposuction is also combined with a mini-tummy tuck that quickly and dramatically provides very noticeable results.
Thanks to his artistic eye, Dr. Beraka takes great care to hide the abdominoplasty scar in the bikini line where it is covered by underwear and bathing suits. Be sure to view tummy tuck before and after photos to see examples of patient results.
What's Special about my approach:
- There has been great progress in tummy-tuck surgery in the last 10 years
and the surgeon must have mastered the latest operations.
- Because there are so many choices,
I spend a lot of time and thought in planing an individualized operation
for each patient.
- If you do not have too
much loose skin, a tummy-tuck can be avoided by
using superficial liposuction which tightens skin.
- I keep the scar low in the pubic hair and short. The lower the scar, the
better the result.
- I perform tummy-tucks with the patient receiving low-dose heparin (a blood thinner).
This precaution does not cause any increased bleeding and it does prevent
- A tummy-tuck cannot be thought of as just cutting off excess skin. I shape
the abdomen; this is like sculpture and cannot be rushed. I spend as much
time as necessary in the operating room to give you the best possible result.
- Some patients who used to require a tummy-tuck, can now be treated
with liposuction alone. This works when there is too much fat in the
stomach but the skin and muscles are not too bad.
- A mini-abdominoplasty
improves the area below the belly button.
- A full-abdominoplasty
treats the whole stomach from the ribs to the groin.
- In some patients, the belly button is left where it is and in others
the belly button is slid downward.
- With the newest "no undermining" technique, liposuction is combined
with the abdominoplasty to get a more dramatic result, especially
in the upper part of the abdomen.
muscles of the stomach are tightened to flatten the stomach and
improve the waistline.
Abdominoplasty can be performed in our fully accredited office surgical suite or in the hospital. If in the hospital, you can choose to do it as an out-patient or to spend the night.
The scar is shaped like a smile and is kept low near the groin. It is kept
as short as possible by proper tailoring and by doing liposuction
at the corners of the scar. The scar is kept from spreading by closing
the incision without tension. The scar fades with time but it does
not disappear and some people do have prominent scars.
Recovery Time after Abdominoplasty:
will have swelling and bruising and some pain for a few days. We
will give you pain mediciation that takes care of the discomfort.
- People recover at different rates but I recommend that you take
two weeks off from work.
- You can resume vigorous athletic activity one month after a tummy-tuck.
back to top