- American Board of Plastic Surgery
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
- International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons
- Independent Doctors of New York
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- New York Regional Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- New York State Medical Society
- New York City Medical Society
- The Northeastern Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Bachelor's Degree with Honors: Columbia University (Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society, Magna Cum Laude)
- Medical School: MD, Columbia University (Roche Award to Outstanding Medical Student)
- Medical Internship: The Johns Hopkins Hospital
- Surgical Residency: The Johns Hopkins Hospital
- Plastic Surgery Residency: New York Hospital - Cornell Medical Center
Honors and Awards
- Top Doctors: New York Metro Area (Castle Connolly) every year from 2002 through 2009
- Who's Who in America (Marquis) 2006 through 2009
- Listed in Guide to America's TOP PLASTIC SURGEONS published by Consumers' Research Council of America, 2006
- Artists for the Cure Award for Dr. Beraka's work on Breast Reconstruction presented at Carnegie Hall
- Roche Award to Top Medical Student, Columbia University
- Editorial Board, Plastic Surgery Practice Advisor
- Annual Prize, Residents' Competition, New York Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Harold Lee Meierhoff Memorial Prize, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University
- Delacorte Scholar, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University
- Regents Medical Scholar, New York State
- Dr. Beraka served as a medical officer in the Air Force Reserve and retired with the rank of major.
- Lenox Hill Hospital, New York, NY
- Manhattan Eye, Ear & Throat Hospital, New York, NY
- Assistant Professor of Surgery, Cornell University Medical College
- Dr. Beraka is the preceptor for the Cosmetic Surgery Fellowship at Lenox Hill Hospital. He teaches cosmetic surgery to the fellows on a one on one basis.
Publications / Presentations
Dr. Beraka has written many articles published in medical journals, including Surgery, American Journal of Medicine, Surgical Forum, Archives of Surgery, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Annals of Plastic Surgery.
Dr. Beraka has written several chapters for textbooks on cosmetic surgery and breast surgery. His latest chapter is "The Pursuit of Excellence in Cosmetic Surgery".
Dr. Beraka has presented numerous research papers at medical conferences, symposia and panels. One of his contributions is the development of the central pyramid breast reduction technique.
He has also done research on collagen, microsurgery, breast reconstruction, facelifts and breast augmentation without implants. He is a clinical investigator for experimental implants and for cellulite treatments.
Dr. Beraka is often interviewed about cosmetic surgery by reporters in print and television. He has been the cosmetic surgery consultant for a major woman's website.
Dr. Beraka has been appointed to the Editorial Board of the journal Plastic Surgery Practice Advisor. He has contributed a number of articles on topics such as the importance of an accredited outpatient operating suite.
Hobbies and Interests
- Dr. Beraka is married to a psychotherapist. The Berakas have three sons and they live in Manhattan. Dr. Beraka's hobbies are opera, sailing, and reading mysteries.